Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Pianist - Shelvia

despite the length of the movie, overall it's a great movie...
although if it wasn't for Eddy, i'll most likely skip this movie :P (thanks Eddy =D)
the movie is set at late 1930s though to early 1940s during the World War II in a place call Warshaw. Adrien Brody played a pianist called W Szpillman and the movie tells a story of how this pianist struggled to survive with almost no hope waiting in the end...
the actors are really good and the movie show a glimpse of what happened during World War II and how the people were treated back then...
one thing that the movie did to me was to make me feel very lucky for my living condition now... =)
rating (8.3/10)

2 comments:

DWS Movie Buffs said...

I've seen this movie about 8 months ago and I simply loved it.

But then again I might be biased since I love classical piano music and this movie happens to tell the story about this pianist who plays Chopin, my number one favorite composer :)
The only thing I hate about this movie is, it shows me how far I am from becoming even just a decent pianist.

Actually it's quite interesting to see what happened to the Jews during the WW 2 and how this Jewish-Polish pianist survived.

Shelvia's rating of 8.3 is quite reasonable. Although I would give 9 for the piano part.

Weifan

DWS Movie Buffs said...

Eddy T - Agree with Shelvia and Weifan. It is a great movie and Chopin was a great composer for the piano. It's interesting to compare this Holocaust movie with a more popular one like Spielberg's Schindler's List. The latter is very graphic and shot in black and white, yet I feel that 'The Pianist', with its restraint and European sensibility, is the more powerful.
Rating: 9.5/10